Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Losing Faith in the Book Community



When I first started blogging back in 2014, I wasn't really in the community, I was just a blogger who kind of kept to myself but the longer I blog the more I see things. I've seen book bloggers try and scam their readers, I've seen others talking about someone taking advantage of BEA and getting way to many ARCs and trying to sell them. After that I was ashamed for being a blogger, I didn't want authors to think I was like this scammer. 

Now, I'm seeing something far worse I think. People bullying others for wanting to read books they didn't like, a better name (problematic books). Not only are they going after the readers and calling them awful names but now they are attacking the authors! Yes, sadly you read that right, people are attacking authors, demanding they tell their publishers to pull their books and apologize for the stuff they've written. An author of a fictional book is being asked and sometimes demanded to apologize.

I've actually gotten to talk to one of these authors and to hear her story... my heart goes out to her. The things they say about her... she's such a sweetheart. It's getting to the point where I don't want to be apart of this community, at all. 


Authors pour their heart and soul into their work, I know, just finished my own novel and I put so much of my life into this novel. Then they have to try and get published, which is also hard. Only to be called horrid names? Personally, I don't even want to get my story published anymore. Why? Just so I could get called horrid names when someone doesn't like my book? Pass.

Then I've heard stories of authors going after reviewers because they left a bad review. Yes, authors, published authors going after their readers for a bad review. In one story an author threatened the reviewer with black magic. No, I'm not making this up. Authors not everyone is going to like your book, everyone has different tastes, that doesn't mean you go after the reader. 

I thought we as readers and writers were more empathic and caring. I also thought we were better than this. I'm so ashamed of us as a community. We talk about tolerance and inclusiveness but what we are doing... that's the exact opposite. I love this community so much and it's tearing me up to see these things happening. I am honestly ashamed to be a part of this community right now and I hope as whole we can raise above this nastiness and do better. I want to hope we have it in us to be better.

Guess that's all I have to say about this. Be kind to each other. Read the books you love and always always my butterflies, have a great day.

*I know this doesn't apply to every reader or author and I don't mean ALL, just the ones doing these things. 



7 comments:

  1. I agree with you: it's so sad to see this happening. I think that as the book blogging community grows and attracts more sorts of people, inevitably, some of those people are going to bring some unsavory elements. An unfortunate side effect of the general public, if you will. The majority are, of course, dedicated authors, bloggers, publishers, and readers, and will be considerate and kind to everyone else but there's still some darkness worming its way it.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree with you 100%. Most everyone here is nice and just want to blog, read, write, whatever. I hope it stays that way and not let more darkness seeping in.

      Delete
  2. I agree with this so much. Its heartbreaking to see what has become of the book community. I am so disappointed in these "witch hunts" where people try to police what others are reading through bullying and threats and just general immaturity. These people think they are so "progressive"!

    It scares me because it reminds me of the guardians I lived with as a child. They were very controlling, forbidding me from reading things they didn't like, talking bad about anyone who enjoyed things that they didn't approve of. Its a very disturbing parallel and it freaks me out a lot.

    Lovely post!

    Wren @ http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you had to grow up in that sort of household Wren, that could not have been easy or even enjoyable.

      Yes! They do think they are so 'progressive' when I don't agree. Honestly I just hate that they are trying to censor everything or being a bully. That's just not good. At all.

      Delete
  3. Great post, and I do agree, it seems like there's a lot of negativity flying around at the moment. It's a shame, because as a YA lover, I get enough stick from people IRL for my reading choices and it's great to be able to chat to likeminded peeps online. I think there are good and bad elements in any community, particularly online - it's an unfortunate side effect of having a lot of people with similar tastes but differing opinions in the same space. The positive elements by far outweigh the negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! IRL everyone knows I read but no one knows I read YA because I'm scared of their making fun of me. I really feel for you there. I do agree that the positive outweigh the negative, it just seems the negative is really loud right now.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Favorite/Least Favorite Book Trope

This meme is hosted here and over at Blue Eye Books. What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and then we also have some...