Saturday, March 11, 2017

Ruin and Rising - Review

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.





Book Breakdown

*SPOILERS* 

No! No! NO! Why does she lose her powers? Why does she get with Mal? Why does the Darkling have to die?! I mean the prince was the best choice out of the two left even though I'm one of those weird people that loved the Darkling and wanted her with him. 

I think he could have changed! He was just a lonely boy that no one understood. I felt my heart being ripped out when he died. I held out hope this whole time that Alina would come to her senses and go with him or the prince but no. No! The Darkling is just like her, he understands her and she could really help him. She could have at least been his friend, not killed him.

I am so glad the prince was saved though. He's swoon worthy in his own right and still way better than Mal. Can you tell I'm bitter about Mal yet? I think that the prince will make the best king. I think he's the only one that would make a great ruler actually. I started to think he was a goner and was worried who would take the throne. 

I loved this series and I'm glad that peace is back to the land and the ending wrapped up nicely I guess. I just hate the choices she made, she could have made a difference in the kingdom and instead runs off to be with Mal.... If you like Mal and like that she ended up with him than I'm happy for you but I didn't like it. How many more times will I say that? No more I promise. 

I just really wish that she had stayed with the prince and helped him, I think that would have been a better ending and I think it would have made more sense, she could really help him and they'd do great things together. I'm at least glad she's happy though. She deserves happiness after all the crap she went through.


1 comment:

  1. I liked the Darkling as a bad guy but I never once thought he would turn around to become the good guy or someone who could be saved, but I see so many people wanting that, lol. I was all about Mal. At least you liked the ending. :) I read this series so long ago, though. I hardly remember anything except for the Darkling and the Fold.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Favorite/Least Favorite Book Trope

This meme is hosted here and over at Blue Eye Books. What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and then we also have some...