Saturday, August 13, 2016

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Review





Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.











Book Breakdown 


First, I want to say  that I read this book in less than 24 hours. It was glorious! It gave me all the feels that Anna and the French Kiss did and that itself is amazing! No second book has ever done that for me before. So this book follows Lola, she's quirky and cool. All she really wants is her fathers to like her older boyfriend (who's an ass); Max. They don't and I can't blame them at all. He's seems alright at first except the drugs part but he's bad news. I just want to smack him across his face.

Lola also hopes the twins never come back. She had a huge crush on Cricket before and her heart got broken. But the twins do end up moving back, duh otherwise there'd be no book. Cricket's room is right next to hers and so they begin to talk a little. Lola finds herself falling for him all over again and he clearly never got over her. Lots of drama ensues and lies keep them apart but it will all work out in the end our couple. 

Cricket is adorable! I think I might actually like him better than St. Clair, which I thought was impossible. He's so sweet and charming and even quite quirky himself. He's so perfectly matched for Lola and you can see it plainly. They are so much better when they are together. 

I love how much Lola grows in this novel and how she also learns to see Max for what he really is. It just took her too long for my liking, bad taste in judgement through. She does wise up in the end though and so I'm proud of her. I'm also glad that she accepted herself as well. Overall, if you like Anna and the French Kiss, then you're going to enjoy this one too. I can't wait though to go back to Paris for the next book. 





Favorite Quotes

1) “I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”

2)  “Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated. 

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”


3) “Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."
I smile. "You don't think I'm perfect?"
"No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way.” 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a ton about this series, so I am so glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like such a light and fun book. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Your comments make my day!