Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Review


Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.




Book Breakdown

*SPOILER ALERT*
You have been warned.

Okay so first off I want to talk about all the hate this book gets. Some I do understand and some I don't. None of the characters feel true to themselves, Harry doesn't feel like Harry to me. Ron.... just thinking about the Ron in this script makes me want to laugh my ass off as that's all he is, one big stupid joke. Ron from the true novels was not just a joke that made me role my eyes or cringe. If this was how Ron turned out to be... I have advice for Hermione: girl, divorce him and find someone who is worthy of you.

Malfoy... I did like his character and I thought he fit in a strange way, I don't even know how to explain why. His son though... Scorpius! Oh adorable, geeky, and wonderful Scorpius! He was simply perfectly. I loved him to pieces. Albus was I guess the star but he was unlikable to me. I also wish we could have seen Harry's other kids but maybe they would have been as bad as Albus and it's a good thing we don't see them. 

The plot is nothing special, nothing we haven't seen before. This really feels like an excuse to bring all the characters back for fan service. Honestly it feels like fan faction. I know I sound like I'm ripping this apart but I did enjoy it. But I enjoy quite a few bad books. There is nothing here that is good other than Snape and Malfoy and his son. 

There is something I want to discuss that I simply don't understand, most everyone claims that Albus and Scorpius are in love and gay. But it clearly says that Albus liked the 'villain' in this book. Yes, Scorpius got jealous but he was used to having all Albus' attention, he was his only friend. I'd feel jealous too. I mean why would JK Rowling lie to us? She had no bones about Dumbledore being gay but why would she say Albus liked a girl? Or Scorpius asking out Rose? I mean come on, I just don't get it. My sister and I were arguing over this a few days ago. She says they are gay and that I can't read and I said she was making this out to be more like fanfiction than Draco and Harry being gay. 

So what is your thoughts on their being gay or not gay?

Lastly, I just want to say that it was nice seeing this world again but it was ruined with how the characters didn't feel like the characters... so read it if you wish but go in with no exceptions and I'm sure you'll enjoy it like I did.




7 comments:

  1. Scorpius was definitely the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Seeing a bit of controversy over Scorpius and Albus and whether they were meant to be a couple. I haven't read this myself but from what I've been hearing it does kind of sound like fan fiction almost. Though I can't approve of changing our beloved characters' characters! Lol. I'd like to think they'd would've held to their same morals, beliefs, and maybe just a little bit of their behaviors.

    Still not sure where this one stands for me. I'm both curious and terrified to read it! Lol. Nice review though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just think of it as something different from the real books and put it by itself, then it's not as bad.

      Delete
  3. Great review. I had a hard time with the play because the characters feel so different than they do in the original series. I agree that it’s like reading fanfiction.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such high hopes for this, I think that was another reason it failed to me. It's sad but I have seen fan fiction better than this.

      Delete
  4. Can't read because I haven't read the book yet, but I see you rated it 3 stars. Sorry it wasn't a 5 star one for you. I hope I will like it better :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Favorite/Least Favorite Book Trope

This meme is hosted here and over at Blue Eye Books. What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and then we also have some...