Saturday, June 11, 2016

Life & Death: A Twilight Retelling - Review

Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer.
Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover “flip book,” this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.

Twilight has enraptured millions of readers since its first publication in 2005 and has become a modern classic, redefining genres within young adult literature and inspiring a phenomenon that has had readers yearning for more. The novel was a #1 New York Times bestseller, a #1 USA Today bestseller, a Time magazine Best Young Adult Book of All Time, an NPR Best-Ever Teen Novel, and a New York Times Editor’s Choice. The Twilight Saga, which also includes New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella, and The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide, has sold nearly 155 million copies worldwide.




Book Breakdown
*WARNING RANT*

So, I'm sure by now everyone knows the story about this 'book'. The author wanted to finally put to rest the haters that always get upset that Bella is such a damsel in distress. The author wanted to show that Bella was just a human in distress. Which always made sense to me. I mean male or female, they stand no chance with vampires and werewolves. So she gave us this bonus content all to prove a point. It kind of works though, Beau is just so weak as Bella. Though this time around, it feels more comical.

Where she failed (in my opinion) is Beau. He's not a guy to me at all. There were a few tiny moments where I thought he could pass as one but no. Just no. He's just not buy-able as a male. I wanted this to work out as I love Twilight. It made me so sad to see this flop so badly.

Though I did like Edythe. I could mostly buy her as a female. Though usually females aren't as possessive as she was. That's usually (in my experience) a male thing. But still she was just too much like Edward, it was really kind of uncomfortable reading this book. I felt embarrassed to be reading it. That's not something someone should ever feel when they read. I will say this, I thought there would be less changes then there was. But those few changes weren't enough to make me believe this.

The ending was totally different, but I'm sure we all knew it would be. Beau is turned into a vampire because of James or whatever his girl name was. This ending made me sad and a little angry. Beau had to leave behind is whole family and while he cared a little.... but it wasn't enough. I'm sorry but I live a thousand miles from my family and that's hard. Knowing I only get to see them every few years. But to never be allowed to see them again?! I'd be a broken, sobbing mess. No boyfriend/girlfriend is good enough to fill that void and he just seems to take it in stride. Putting his family through that. Ugh, I hate this bonus content so much that I was so close to burning this book as revenge for making me waste my time and read it.

Though I do wonder who Jacob -whatever his girl name was- will get with now. I mean.... Beau can't have a baby neither can the girl version of Edward. Makes me wonder.... The strangest change to me, is the eye color.... why change that? Yes, I know now that I am knit picking but I really don't understand that choice at all.

All in all, this was unneeded. Just to shove it to the haters? They are still going to hate, that's why they are called haters for crying out loud. I would rather have Midnight Sun, it's what I've been wanting for years. Maybe in another ten years I will get my wish.... I hope.







2 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't work for you. I'll definitely be passing on it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't blame you for passing on this one.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Favorite/Least Favorite Book Trope

This meme is hosted here and over at Blue Eye Books. What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and then we also have some...