Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review - The 5th Wave

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.







Book Breakdown
*SPOILER ALERT*





This book was a thrill ride! We start with Cassie. She's lost her mother in the 3rd way and her father was killed in front of her after the 4th wave. Her baby brother was taken by the 'others' and little does she know that they will prepare him to be the 5th wave.

Cassie is alone, living in a forest, afraid to trust anyone. Not that she sees many people of course. Almost everyone is dead. Seven billion humans on earth and less than a few thousand left. She's trying to survive and at the same time find a way to get her baby brother back. Just like she promised him before he was taken.

When she finally decides to leave the forest, she gets shot on the highway by a Silencer - the 4th wave. she gets die from the leg wound. She passes out and wakes up in a house. A very good looking young man had saved her. She grows to love this man - Evan. He loves her too. Cassie can't bring herself to trust him... she tells Evan that she has to rescue her brother. He tries to keep her there with him. Doesn't work. Soon they go together to find her little brother. In which time she discovers that Evan is an alien. One of the 'others'.

 Ben Parish survives the 3rd wave, barely. Now he's being trained to what he thinks are the aliens... but he and Ringer find out the truth and it messes with his head. Ringer says they should all just run away but Ben made a promise to a young boy in boot camp. He has to go back to the alien lair for the kid. He won't leave him behind like he left his younger sister.

That's where Ben runs into Cassie, she's already gotten into the boot camp and got her brother. Cassie is stunned to see her old crush. She'd spent so many times before the arrival daydreaming of him. With the help of Evan and later Ringer, they make it out of the alien fort. With nothing much left behind...

I was hooked from the first page of this book. Cassie just has this voice that made me want to see what she said next, what her plan was. I also felt so sad for her, not being able to trust anyone. How was she to know if they were alien or human? I love the slow building relationship between her and Evan. I really hope he lives as I really like Evan. For an alien he's pretty awesome. You can see how much he loves her. It's so sweet.

The writing was very forward, and flowed together nicely. I found myself unable to put the book down. I read it all in one day. Sadly, I didn't even know about this book till I saw the movie trailer and it looked so good that I just had to read it. Now I can't wait for the movie! Hope it's as good as the book!






Favorite Quotes

1) “But if I'm it, the last of my kind, the last page of human history, like hell I'm going to let the story end this way. I may be the last one, but I am the one still standing. I am the one turning to face the faceless hunter in the woods on an abandoned highway. I am the one not running but facing. Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield.” 


2) “Some things you can never leave behind. They don't belong to the past. They belong to you.” 


3) “I had it all wrong," he says. "Before I found you, I thought the only way to hold on was to find something to live for. It isn't. To hold on, you have to find something you're willing to die for.” 

4) “I am a shark, Cassie," he says slowly, drawing the words out, as if he might be speaking to me for the last time. Looking into my eyes with tears in his, as if he's seeing me for the last time. "A shark who dreamed he was a man.” 

10 comments:

  1. It's been ages since I read this book but you've reminded me why I love it! Cassie is such a great character and her voice made a really enjoyable read, especially since because of her we meet Evan who I adore!! <3 Anyways, lovely review

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/www-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan is so adorable and I love him! He's become a new book boyfriend of mine lol. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this book yet, but I really need to since the movie is coming out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you do read it, tell me if you like it!

      Delete
  3. I STILL haven't read this book but I really have to! Especially as the movie is coming out soon which will hopefully be good too. I'm glad to hear this is so great! :D

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I even thought the male author did a great job at creating a teenage girl. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did!

      Delete
  4. Omg i haven't read this book and i really want to before i watch the movie! But i have so many books on hand i wanna complete T.T So many books, so little time :( Hopefully i'll get my hands on this book soon! Anyway, great review!! You reminded me i have to read this book!! :)

    ♡,
    Yuki - http://utterlybooks.blogspot.sg/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your pain! There is so little time and so many books I want to devour. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I have to admit I HATED this book. LOL!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've made me wonder why you hate it. Was it the writing? The characters or just the whole plot? Or something else....?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Your comments make my day!