Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Darkness Before Dawn - Review



Description 


Only sunlight can save us.

We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall.

After the death of my parents, it's up to me—as the newest delegate for humanity—to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine . . . or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in.

Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.









My Thoughts/Review


This book was totally predictable. Nothing is unique about it at all. The author(s) seem to also take take a bit from Game of Thrones. There is a wall that the humans live in and it's unsafe to go out because of the vampires who would drain them. They have guards called the Night Watchmen... see where I'm going with this? That being said, I did kind of enjoy the book. It was an easy read that I finished in one sitting.

Dawn's parents were killed, now that leaves her to fill their spot of being the city of Denver's Delegate to the Lord Valentine. An 'old family' vampire. He protects the city and keeps his vampire lackeys out of the wall and away from the humans in exchange for blood. He's not very good at it though as Dawn gets attacked for vampires super early in the book. She ends up being saved by Lord Valentine's son. Whom she will grow to love. Yeah...

I had high hopes for this book as it sounded really good and that cover is just beautiful but I don't think I'll read the others in this series. 









Favorite Quotes


1) “The movie is all illusion. How people wish things were.” 

2) "I like you, Dawn. I've seen a lot of humans, from far away and up close. I've never met one like you. I think you're the closest thing to a sunrise I'll ever see.”

2 comments:

  1. The synopsis does make is sound very promising, so I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as you wanted to. I generally stay away from vampire books, which I should try giving more of a chance :p great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love vampire books. This sounded so amazing! It made me so sad that I didn't enjoy it :(

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Favorite/Least Favorite Book Trope

This meme is hosted here and over at Blue Eye Books. What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and then we also have some...