Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Star-Touched Queen - Mini Book Breakdown


Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire…

But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself.




Mini Book Breakdown 


I enjoyed this rich world. I felt like I was there seeing the lure with my own eyes. I loved the characters, the writing, and the setting. The writing style was a little hard to follow at first but I took off with it quickly and it was just so rich and lovely that I came to love it so much. It's very flowing and different which I really appreciated. It's nice to have something different for a change.

So this book is really a Hades and Persephone myth retelling but Indian lure and that just pulled me in. I knew I had to read it. That sold me on it alone. I'm a sucker for the Hades and Persephone myth and as many Bollywood movies as I watch... yeah I knew this book would be mine. 

It didn't let me down, it was fun and never a dull moment, the world was fleshed out wonderfully, the characters felt real, and the can I again say how much I loved the lure? Because I just did. 

My biggest problem with this book was how predicable it was. There was seriously nothing that happened that surprised me. I knew every twist and turn, I even found myself skipping ahead just because I knew what was going to happen and found no reason to read it. So while I loved everything else about this book, the plot was just too easy to guess.

Another thing I disliked about this book was how Amar didn't just tell Maya what was going on. This book whole book would never existed if he's just told her. So that made the plot really weak to me. 

Overall, I still recommend this book just for the lure alone. It's great. 

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this book around a lot when it just came out but for some reason I just cannot get myself interest enough to actually read it, tho nice review!

    HannahCassie @ www.psilovethatbook.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.