Saturday, March 04, 2017

Blood Rose Rebellion - ARC Book Breakdown

The thrilling first book in a YA fantasy trilogy for fans of Red Queen. In a world where social prestige derives from a trifecta of blood, money, and magic, one girl has the ability to break the spell that holds the social order in place.

Sixteen-year-old Anna Arden is barred from society by a defect of blood. Though her family is part of the Luminate, powerful users of magic, she is Barren, unable to perform the simplest spells. Anna would do anything to belong. But her fate takes another course when, after inadvertently breaking her sister’s debutante spell—an important chance for a highborn young woman to show her prowess with magic—Anna finds herself exiled to her family’s once powerful but now crumbling native Hungary.

Her life might well be over.

In Hungary, Anna discovers that nothing is quite as it seems. Not the people around her, from her aloof cousin Noémi to the fierce and handsome Romani Gábor. Not the society she’s known all her life, for discontent with the Luminate is sweeping the land. And not her lack of magic. Isolated from the only world she cares about, Anna still can’t seem to stop herself from breaking spells.

As rebellion spreads across the region, Anna’s unique ability becomes the catalyst everyone is seeking. In the company of nobles, revolutionaries, and Romanies, Anna must choose: deny her unique power and cling to the life she’s always wanted, or embrace her ability and change that world forever.





Book Breakdown 


So after thinking this over, maybe I should have passed on this book because it even says for fans of Red Queen and I didn't really like that book like I had wanted too. It just sounded so cool and that cover was stunning! I mean look at the cover! It's so beautiful! I just want to hug that cover and stare at it forever. If only what was inside was as good....

The book isn't bad by any means, it throws you right into the story, nothing is slow about this book and that is nice but to me, that also means the world building is lacking a little. A few of the characters feel flat to me. 

I do love what the book represents, it's a great metaphor for the world today today I think. There's a group of people who hold all the power and the others want it. So they start a rebellion and yeah. I like that our MC joins in and even helps when she can. 

So I love the themes in the book and the road the characters do down but I just also found it boring... and I hate that I didn't like it as much as I did. I also love that the love interest is totally a PoC, which I love seeing more of in books! We need that. 

So yeah... I guess I'm just sad that I didn't love it that way I did. That doesn't mean it's a bad book by any means, just not my taste.

Thanks to NetGalley for this title.

9 comments:

  1. Oh bummer. I was sort of intrigued by this one. I was happy to found that I won an ARC so at least I'll be able to give it a shot at some point. Glad you were able to enjoy aspects of it, if not altogether loving it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll like it more than I did. Yes, I still enjoyed parts of it, it just didn't click fully for me, sadly.

      Delete
  2. I'm currently reading this right now, and I'm enjoying it. It's nothing special for me yet, but I hope it grabs me soon. I'm not a fan of Red Queen either, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I actually enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does catch you soon. I hoped the same thing through the whole book.

      Delete
  3. I also got this from Netgalley, but am somewhat bored with it. I'm thinking, I'm halfway through, and I just want it to end - never a nice thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand exactly! Through the whole book I was just wishing it was over. It felt like it was the longest book in the world.

      Delete
  4. I hate when books with beautiful covers disappoint...I saw this book on Goodreads the other day and I was wowed by the cover!

    Wren @ http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That cover is freaking stunning and it stucks that it will never sit on my shelf :(

      Delete