Saturday, January 14, 2017

Discussion Challenge (1) - Looking Back at Twilight

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him—and I didn't know how dominant that part might be—that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

In the first book of the Twilight Saga, internationally bestselling author Stephenie Meyer introduces Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, a pair of star-crossed lovers whose forbidden relationship ripens against the backdrop of small-town suspicion and a mysterious coven of vampires. This is a love story with bite.





Discussion Questions

So have you reread Twilight recently? What did you think of it? Is it still as good as you remember? Also what do you think would have happened if Twilight had never been written and published? Would you be the reader you are today? 


Book Breakdown 

This is a reread for me. I read this whole series in 2008 before the first movie was released. I was so heartbroken when I got to the two last chapters of Breaking Dawn that I actually stopped reading, dreading the end far too much. I was not ready to leave this world behind. It had become my everything.

I did finish the book after the movie came out and I felt that this world was not ending yet. I had the movies to look forward to and I heard that the author was writing Midnight Sun, so I was happy. I was okay with letting this part of the story end. It wasn't like it was really gone forever. 

I went to the midnight releases of the first three movies before I finally gave up on the films and saw how bad they really were. After that, I didn't even see the other two in theaters at all. I waited till they were both on DVD to watch them. 

Maybe that's why this reread gets a lower rating. I still enjoyed the story but I can see all it's flaws now. I even see that Edward is kind of a creep -a hot creep - watching Bella sleep and all. He's also very controlling, I know he's from a different time and he's just doing what he thinks is best for Bella but he's lived in the world long enough to know that times have changed and the man is not the boss anymore. 

The writing also isn't the best. If I had to read the word pursed one more time I thought I would go insane. Still the author is a great storyteller and so I still enjoyed this book during the reread. It will always hold a special place in my heart. It's one of the few books that has the credit with getting lots of people into reading and that it an amazing thing! 

Plus, Twilight helped kick off YA, showing there was indeed a market for it. I love YA, it's pretty much all I read so I'll always be thankful for all that Twilight has done for the book market even with it's flaws. 


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. I had the same experience where I read the books a year after they had come out and absolutely loved them. But I reread them a couple of years later and I saw all the things you mentioned. And, of course, the movies were such a wash. I suppose when you think about it, unless the director departed from the storyline, they couldn't make them much better. I'm grateful for the YA market invention but otherwise, yeah, this series is a bit of a wash.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder how I would feel if I ever went back and reread these books. I loved them at the time, but I wasn't the avid reader I am now. I've heard lots of people complain about the quality of writing, so I am curious what I would think of the books now. I don't remember noticing a problem with the writing before, but I am a much more seasoned reader now lol. I do have them sitting on my bookshelf just waiting to be reread...

    Sam @ Sharing Inspired Kreations

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are special to so many people because, for some reason, they brought a lot of us back to reading (that's true for me, and I seem to see the comment made over and over again by people). I haven't reread them and I probably won't, partially because I almost never reread and partially because I'd rather just remember the feeling I got from them and not overanalyze the quality. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I have never been a hardcore fan of twilight, but I still enjoyed it. Now I can see all its flaws and can't even finish the 1st book! It did start the YA wave though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved these books when I first read them, and I thought the films were pretty good (I still haven't seen the last one though - it came out when I was already out of my Twilight phase), but looking back I can definitely see their flaws now. I think it's great because it got a lot of people into reading, or back into reading, and especially into YA, but you're right - the writing isn't great and Edward is kind of a creep when you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't re-read books. I did read all the Twilight series when it came out. I didn't rate it as high at the time because I did see the flaws in the writing and their relationship. I still watched and mostly liked the movies. I didn't see any of them in the theater or anything, but I like the idea of characters coming to life.
    My love for all things vampire came from Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat, so Edward really paled in comparison.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Bookish Gift You'd Most/Least Like to Receive

This meme is hosted by myself and the wonderful Laura from Blue Eye Books . What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and...