Saturday, September 17, 2016

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas - Review

The Queen has returned.

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…

She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.

The fourth volume in the New York Times bestselling series continues Celaena’s epic journey and builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.


Title: Queen of Shadows
Series: Throne of Glass
Number in Series: 5
Page Count: 648
Format; Hardcover
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Date Published: 09/01/2015
How I Got this Book: Bought from Target 



Book Breakdown 

I can't really dive too hard into the plot of this one without giving away some series spoilers so you've been warned, there maybe spoilers ahead my friend. So this book was just a wild ride. For such a large book the pacing was perfect! It was never, not once dull. 

My favorite part had to be when Aelin finally saves Aedion. It was too perfect, he thought he was dead and had no idea she was even coming for him and then bam! It was everything I wanted after reading Heir of Fire. They are finally back together! Though I still feel so bad that Rowan took his blood oath. It's just sad, he's wanted that his whole life and Rowan just up and takes it. Still I'm just so happy he's safe and I get to see more of him.

"Aedion grinned at his queen as the entire world went to hell."


I mean just look at him! How could you not fall in love with him?! Honestly, he's my favorite male character, well he's tied with my other favorite Dorian. I'll always love that guy too. Dorian is just to sweet not to love and seeing him this way... with the demon inside him. God it brought me to tears, I cried so hard on his short chapters until Manon shows up... something is going to happen there, I just feel it and while that would not bother me at all because I fucking love Manon and Dorian, I always wanted Aelin and Dorian... yeah... 

But in the end Dorian... he's back! Aelin helped bring him back and together they killed the evil ass king! OMG Dorian is now king! 

“They joined hands. So the world ended. And the next one began.”


“They were infinite. They were the beginning and the ending; they were eternity. The king standing before them gaped as the shield of flame died out to reveal Aelin and Dorian, hand in hand, glowing like newborn gods as their magic entwined.”

Also did I mention that they brought back magic! FINALLY! I'm so glad that they can now stand a chance against whatever is coming for them next. Though I do have to wonder, I thought the King was the big bad... now it sounds like the Duke is... is there something I missed in the other books? Because the Duke always seemed so meek and willing to submit to the King. Either way, I guess I will find out in the next book!

Manon... I just, I can't even... she's come so far. She's went from a bitch to an almost person. I can't wait for her to finally stand up to her grandmother. I can't believe what is going on with the witches and the Valg, uses the witches that way! I'm pissed Manon hasn't stopped it yet! I know Asterin may have finally gotten through to her... I hope, she changed some after that. She changed more when Aelin saved her life or maybe she just wanted to fulfill that life debt. Either way, I'm loving her so much  more now!

Lysandra! She is fucking kickass in this book, I'm so glad that Aelin finally got a girlfriend, she'd always around all these guys and sometimes it's nice to just have a girl there around to fully understand. I know some people said that after what happened in the Assassin's Blade that it was hard to trust her but I found it very easy, after all, she was only trying to look out for herself, who could blame her for that? I think it's fitting that she finally got to kill the creep Arobynn. He was allowed to live for far too long in my opinion. 



Rowan is still Rowan but he's a secret spiller now. As soon as he sees Aedion, he spills about his father and then as the same with Lysandra. He just puts it out there that she is a shape shifter and yeah... it's actually kind of funny. He also tones down a bit in this one, so if you didn't like him in Heir of Fire, then you're going to like him here for sure. He's a whole lot better. Also I'm sadly guessing that he and Aelin end up together, so yeah... guess Dorian is out of the picture. 


Chaol... I know everyone seems to love him but I don't. In Heir of Fire I wanted to smack him because he wouldn't choose a side and then left Dorian alone and then in the first half of this book he's an ass to Aelin and I just wanted to rip his throat out. Part of me was kind of hoping he had died at the end, least it would have made me see him in a better light, gave his life for his best friend. But hopefully he makes me like him in the next book. 


This book is just freaking perfect! It's not as good as Heir of Fire was to me but it's my second favorite of the whole series. The plot is really moving along, I mean magic is back! The king is dead, Dorian is the new king and Aelin finally got to go back home! She had so many awesome friends with her and she is stronger than ever. She is so sure of herself now and I think she is going to be an amazing queen. I can't wait to see what happens next with the Wyrdkeys, the Duke, and with the army he still has. There is just so much going on that I could go on talking forever about this book but I think I'll wrap it up here. 

Have you read this book? Thought? Have a great day and as always my butterflies, happy reading! 


My favorites: Heir of Fire, Queen of Shadows, Throne of Glass, The Assassin's Blade, and Crown of Midnight. 


4 comments:

  1. I loved this book so much! I couldn't bring myself to write a review just yet so I'm going to have to reread it calmly so I can write an actual review :) I really liked how Rowan and Aelin had a deep friendship in HoF and I wasn't a huge fan of their romance but I have to admit they are perfect for each other. Lovely review, Carrie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was iffy about their romance at first, I just love Dorian so much but it's growing on me.

      Delete
  2. Gah, I still need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Your comments make my day!