Saturday, August 06, 2016

Clockwork Prince - Review

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.






Book Breakdown

I think this book ripped my heart out a wee bit. I used to like Jem better and he's still wonderfully awesome and so sweet but now.... Will. Oh Will!!! No wonder Tessa loves them both! I could never ever choose. They are both amazing in their own ways. 

This is book is better than Clockwork Angel. I found myself jumping into this one easier than that one. It made loving it faster also. I know everyone loves The Mortal Instruments and they are fantastic but this series is quickly gaining on it for me. I found this book hard to put down and even at work I was reading it, the customers were looking at me like I'd grown another head for reading. The people out here are-- never mind. I'm just going to go on with the review. 

There were a few things I didn't see coming and other things I saw from a mile away. Jesse, I thought she was sneaking out to maybe help her friends... she made me want to book into the book and stab her to death for what she did. How stupid she was. God, she should have been smarter. I don't like her character if you wouldn't tell.

Will.... I knew there was a reason he acted so hot and cold. I didn't know it would turn out the way it did. No curse was actually on him... I mean can you imagine? You spend most of your life trying to make people hate you because you're scared they will die and you go through life feeling so alone then one day, you find out it was all a lie, Your whole life has been a lie. I don't know what I'd do, I think I'd go insane after something like that. 

I simply can't wait to read Clockwork Princess but I've heard that I will drown in a river of my own tears so I'm very nervous about it. I do know that at least Will and Tessa get together, yeah... I've been spoiled big time. I read some of the Shadowhunter Academy books and now I know a wee bit, that's why I put that on hold until I read the rest of the books. 

I am glad to see Will's baby sister, at least it will give some comfort while Jem and Tessa are together. I'm also glad this book does not fall into the second book slump area and even though this is the bridge book and you can clearly see it, it's still a good enough ride that you'll want to read it. 







Favorite Quotes

1) “We live and breathe words. .... It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them. Reading your words, what you wrote, how you were lonely sometimes and afraid, but always brave; the way you saw the world, its colors and textures and sounds, I felt--I felt the way you thought, hoped, felt, dreamt. I felt I was dreaming and thinking and feeling with you. I dreamed what you dreamed, wanted what you wanted--and then I realized that truly I just wanted you.” 

2) “Ah,” said a voice from the doorway, “having your annual ‘everyone thinks Will is a lunatic’ meeting, are you? 
“It’s biannual,” said Jem. “And no, this is not that meeting.”

3) “Trains are great dirty smoky things," said Will. "You won't like it." 
Tessa was unmoved. "I won't know if I like it until I try it, will I?" 
"I've never swum naked in the Thames before, but I know I wouldn't like it." 
"But think how entertaining for sightseers," said Tessa, and she saw Jem duck his head to hide the quick flash of his grin.” 

4) “Demon pox, oh demon pox
Just how is it acquired?
One must go down to the bad part of town
Until one is very tired.
Demon pox, oh demon pox, I had it all along—
Not the pox, you foolish blocks,
I mean this very song—
For I was right, and you were wrong!"

4 comments:

  1. Excellent review! Personally, I prefer this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I distinctly remember reading this book. All the emotional turmoil I went through! The plot developed in completely unexpected ways, which made it such a great book to read. I can't wait to read your thoughts on the last book!
    Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! You've finally gotten to the second book! :D TID really breaks you down in so many ways. & Yes Will's finding out about the curse was so heartbreaking ;-; I'm glad you liked the second one, so I really can't wait to see your reaction to the final book! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. *quietly waits until the review for Clockwork Princess comes up cus that books is one of my faves yayyyyyy*
    In all seriousness, I’m so glad you liked this! Such a great trilogy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.