Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Crown - Review/Rant





When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.







Book Breakdown
*SPOILER ALERT*


The final book in The Selection series is here and it's better than The Heir. Though that isn't saying much. Eadlyn isn't as much of a brat though to me, she still has her moments. My biggest issues with this book is how every problem is handled so quickly and easily. I mean they get so worked up over these problems that they solve in a fast and painless manor. The book feels so unrealistic to me. Maxon stepping down so Eadlyn can rule... I mean really? When would that ever happen? When has any king just stepped down for the next ruler? Some kings went so far to rule longer that they try and kill their kids to stop this from happening! 





 It's been a while since I read the other three books but did Maxon ever mention having a sister in those books? Because if not that also came out of nowhere. Let me know below if it did mention a half sister.

Anyway, it was so painfully plain who she was going to choose. Even from the very start. Which didn't bother me, I still liked someone else better (Kile) and wish he had won instead. What I hated though was Henry, well his reaction really. Would you not be... I don't know, pissed? The girl you like loves your employee instead! Even though she said she was choosing you! Nope, he just smiled and was happy for them.

Okay I want this to be known before I go any further at all, I have nothing against the LGBT community at all. As a matter of fact I am bi-sexual so I am a part of it. I just can't help but feel though that the whole thing with Fox and Hale was thrown in there just to appeal to that community. I never saw anything between the lines that said Hale would end up the way he did (though they're cute as be). Nevertheless, it's not a big deal as we need more diversity in books, I just felt it was thrown in to also help Eadlyn choose faster. Just something to speed everything up. I wish that the author would have pulled that move sooner or something and not just right out of the blue like that. Too Convenient. 

The biggest thing she had to deal with in this book was a silly little nobody who wanted to be king, but she crushed him with so little effort that I didn't feel elated when she won. It was just like 'whatever'. This didn't make me laugh or smile like the first three did. I hate to rag on this book because there are a lot of improvements from The Heir but it still doesn't feel like a proper ending. 

I'm going to pretend that The Hair and The Crown doesn't exist, The One was a better ending to the series. I hate it because I truly love The Selection, The Elite, and The One. They are cute, funny, and down right adorable books but these last two... just not for me.


By now I'm sure you lovely little doves know that I usually listen to music while I read and this book was no different. If you'd like to know what music I listened to while reading The Crown, just head over to my Instagram account and see!





Favorite Quotes

1) “And I want us to find our own thing or maybe find out that our own thing is everything, because I feel like if I have him, even the stupid stuff would matter” 

2) “You have to embrace the idea of imperfection, even if the thing that is most perfect for you.”

3) “This is a dandelion, " I told him. He shrugged. "I know. Some see a weed; some see a flower. Perspective.” 



5 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I think she should have stopped with the third book! I really love Kile too and I really wanted him to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was perfect for her! Ugh Kile should've won! Yes, they should have stopped at The One.

      Delete
  2. I was so close to reading your review but then I saw about Maxon and had to stop XD for me the series ended after the trilogy and none of the above happened. To be honest I've heard so many bad things about it anyway that nothing can tempt me into giving the books a shot... unfortunately it looks like I'm not missing out on much! Let's hope your next read is better :)
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you aren't missing out on anything I can say that. I don't blame you for not reading the last two. After The One it should have ended.

      Delete
  3. I was so disappointed with this one. I'm just going to pretend that the last two books don't exist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Your comments make my day!