Saturday, April 16, 2016

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Review

All Harry Potter wants is to get away from the Dursleys and go back to Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby - who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.

But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects... Harry Potter himself.






Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Number in Series: 2 
Page Count: 341
Published: 07/01/1999
POV: Third Person





Book Breakdown


This novel picks up with Harry at home with those dreadful Dursleys. I'm still wishing I could jump inside this book and beat them within an inch of their life. But I'm getting off topic... it's just a few months after the first novel ended, summer vacation. On a very important night for Mr Dursley, Harry is confined to his room, where a mysterious house elf named Dobby. Dobby tells Harry that he can't come back to going Hogwarts as something bad would happen! Harry refuses as he can't stay here any longer, so Dobby does something terrible trying to keep Harry from going.

Harry is trapped, Mr Dursley has locked him in his room and barred his windows but it doesn't stop Harry with the help from the Weasley's he gets out of that horrid place. Before heading to Hogwarts they have to stop and gather the supplies for the year in Diagon Alley. Here they run into Mr Malfoy (whom I wish would die in a fire like yesterday) and Lockhart (who I also wish would go die in fire). It was really cool to see Mr Malfoy and Mr Weasley got into a scuffle which so should've been in the movie!

After a whole lot of trouble getting to Hogwarts, Harry and Ron get into quite a bit of trouble but luckily they don't get expelled. So classes start up and guess who just happens to be their new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? Lockhart! It's so easy to be annoyed by him like Harry and Ron are. Its's not hard to tell he's a fake from a mile away.

Harry starts hearing a voice that no one else can hear. It's also revealed that he can talk to snakes. Which is a very Slytherin like trait, coming all the way from THE Slytherin. Then terrible things start to happen... Finch's cat gets petrified with an eerie message left on the wall It's not long after that even students are in danger including Hermione!  Many believe it's Harry, opening the Chamber like this and hurting the students.

After putting all the pieces together, Harry ends up down in the Chamber of Secrets, facing off against a huge snake and young Voldemort! It all ends well though, Harry saves the day as he does each book, though this time he also sets Dobby free!

This one was so much better than the first one. I'm glad I read it. My partner says each book just keeps getting better and I hope he's right. I can't wait to find out if he's right!

I do have one silly nit pick with this book, the end where Harry puts the diary into his sock.... could that work? I have small feet and no book, even a small one is going to fit in my sock... yeah that scene is my favorite from the movie but it just made me laugh so hard when I read it and I know that wasn't the right reaction to Dobby being saved.





Favorite Quotes

1) “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” 

2) “Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward.” 

3) “Well, you're expelling us aren't you?" said Ron.
"Not today, Mr. Weasley."
Snape looked as though Christmas had been canceled.” 

4) “Harry — I think I've just understood something! I've got to go to the library!”
And she sprinted away, up the stairs.
“What does she understand?” said Harry distractedly, still looking around, trying to tell where the voice had come from.
“Loads more than I do,” said Ron, shaking his head.
“But why’s she got to go to the library?”
“Because that’s what Hermione does,” said Ron, shrugging. “When in doubt, go to the library.” 

10 comments:

  1. Oooh - is this your first time reading the books? The movies are great, but you'll start to see some discrepancies further along. Small things. You definitely get a lot more insight in the books!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is my first time reading this series and I've found what you mean, the books have so many more details!

      Delete
  2. Love the quotes you picked!! HP is so awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to reread this book for a children’s lit class a few years ago, and I loved it as much as I did when I was a kid.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! I can't believe I waited so long to read these!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the world of HP! I liked chamber of secrets the most :P

    Reviewing dreamer @ Reviewing Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very enjoyable read! I enjoyed it greatly!

      Delete
  5. I never get tired of Harry Potter! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Favorite/Least Favorite Book Trope

This meme is hosted here and over at Blue Eye Books. What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and then we also have some...