Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Illuminae - Review

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.






Title: Illuminae 
Authors: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Page Count: 599
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Date Published: 10/20/2015






Book Breakdown 

This book jumps right into the action. Kady and Ezra's home planet; Kerenza is invaded by BeiTech. UTA (United Terran Authority) gets there and helps the WUC, to kick some BeiTech ass. Though one BeiTech dreadnought survives... the Lincoln.

Of the UTA fleet the Alexander, Hypatia, and the Copernicus survive. Kady ends up on the Hypatia and Ezra on the Alexander. The Alexander as taken a lot of damage and can no long create it's own wormhole. So now everyone's worried about the Lincoln catching up and killing them all. Scary stuff.

While all that has been going down, Ezra's been trying to reach Kady. His ex girlfriend, whom had just broken up with him the day on the invasion. The UTA are in dire need of more people and soon Ezra is scripted into being a fight pilot. Kady on the other hand, begins to work with another hacker. See, the UTA isn't giving their passengers all the information they deserve, so our hackers set out to see what that is.

The Alexander AI then decides to kill everyone on the Copernicus because a virus has broken out on board because of BeiTech. It starts slowly and then turns it's victims into zombies. Not to mention during this time that the Lincoln is catching up! So they shut down the AI but when Lincoln comes calling, they have to to turn it back on and everyone goes crazy.

Does our couple survive? Do they get back together? Does Lincoln kill them or or does the AI? Does anyone ever get back at BeiTech for going into their planet? You MUST read to find out!

This book is just so good! I didn't think I'd like it. Not really my kind of thing honestly. But the format... it doesn't read like a normal book and that's what makes it so freaking cool! It reads in a series of chat logs, diary entries, and even a few web pages. I've never seen a book do this before. Don't get me wrong, the story is good too. Though it does start off a little slow, it took me a while to really invest in these characters but when I did.... I found that I couldn't put this book down. I even took it to work with me and read on breaks. It's so amazing!

If you've not read this book already, what are you waiting for? It's worth a read and if you're like me and this isn't usually your kind of read, I'd still give it a chance, so worth it! It's such a great book, had me on the edge of my seat and it's so beautiful! 



Favorite Quotes

1) “You have me. Until ever last star in the galaxy dies."

2) “I am frequently underestimated. I think it's because I'm short.”

3) “I should have told you I loved you every day. I should have given you the stars.”

4) “He presses the triggers. And like roses in his hands, death blooms.”

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! I really did too. I think the story is pretty good, but the format really gave it an edge for me. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds amazing! I haven't read a book that included this type of plot in a long time, so I might give this a try. Nice review Carrie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see that you liked this one! It ended up being my favorite book of 2015. I loved the way that the book was set up. I've heard that the audio is even better, so I'm hoping to check that out before book 2. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the audio is great and I want to check it out too!

      Delete
  4. I was given this for Christmas, so I'm so excited to start it! I've heard only good things, so hopefully I'll feel the same way that you did. I've read a book entirely in conversation form before, but it was a contemporary romance, so I expect it will be quite different to this one! I have super high expectations for this one, so hopefully it won't disappoint.

    I'm so glad you loved this one, Carrie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you won't be let down at all! It's an amazing read! It does start a little slow to me though, so just hang in there and it's worth it!

      Delete
  5. I've seen this book around, and it's been getting a lot of great reviews! I'm definitely going to have to check it out asap, especially since you gave it such great praise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! I'm sure that you'll love it.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you liked this one! This series definitely has the potential to become one of my favorites. I'm so excited for the next one (Gemina)!! But October...it's so far away... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is going to be great! I can't wait to read Gemina!

      Delete
  7. I bought this book last week and I took it home and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I opened it. IT'S CRAZY but so so cool, I have never ever seen a book like it and I'm not even sure how to read it but I'm really looking forward to it :D
    Those quotes? LOVE them, I just want to read the book to get to them haha.
    I'm definitely going to start this review because if you loved, I'm bound to!!
    Fantastic review Carrie :D
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! The format is crazy awesome. I was a little confused with it at first but it's easy once you start reading to follow everything. I'm sure you'll love it!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Your comments make my day!