Friday, December 18, 2015

Obsession - Mini Review

This is a stand alone novel that is an adult spin-off of the Lux Series You do not need to read a Lux book to read Obsession and vice versa.

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?







Author: Jennifer L Armentrout
Series: Stand alone set in the Lux world.
POV: First person, split between Hunter and Serena.
Format: Kindle e-book
Page Count: 249
Publisher: Entangled: Covet
Published: May 31st 2013
Genre: Adult, Romance, Paranormal









Book Breakdown

This book has the most basic plot. I can seriously give you the bare bones sum of this book up just a few paragraphs. So here is goes.

Serena's best friend saw something she shouldn't have. She get's killed and Serena sees it all. The police treat her like she's crazy. A bright light killed her friend. I can see why they'd think she's crazy. Except, they are all in on it. They know about the Arum and Luxen. 

The DOD get involved, wanting to shove it to the Luxen. They get someone to watch her and keep her safe: Hunter, an Arum. They feel lust instantly. He saves her from a Luxen that tries to kill her and then feeds from her.

She wakes up in his house and here starts the fighting, even more lust, and a slow build of trust. Did I mention lots of lust? Seriously, this book is more sex than plot. Now, I don't mind sex in a book. I'm not a prude. When it overshadows the plot though... I got to the point where I was skipping over the sex scenes, hoping something, anything would happen. That's why I usually stay away from adult romance novels.

Anyway, off track. The DOD come back, sometime later and decide that it's simply better to kill Serena. Hunter kills them and they go on the run. She gets taken by Luxen when they go back to get the paper her friend wrote the whole story down on. Hunter saves her.More sex. They finally realize they are in love and the end. 

Hunter starts off as an ass but he gets a little better by the end. She is changing him. It's freaking awesome to see that not all Arum are evil and not all Luxen are Daemon good.

It was so awesome to see Daemon in the book as I just love him to pieces. Also we get to see a little more of Luc which is awesome as he's pretty epic. 

My huge problem with this book was the banter. In every JLA book there is witty banter that makes me laugh or smile. There really wasn't much here. It just felt so odd. I can't even describe it. I had to check a few times to see if she really wrote this.

Bottom line, it wasn't a bad book. I did enjoy it. I just found myself skipping pretty much all the sex scenes to get to the actual plot. 










Favorite Quotes

1) “Never in my life had I been more frustrated. Go figure it wouldn't be with a human but a freaking alien. At least I now knew that the male species were asses no matter what planet they hailed from.”

2) “You're not going to answer me?" Or do I need to repeat myself for a third time? It's okay. I like to hear myself talk.”

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I haven't read this standalone although I've loved the Lux series. I need to read it, now that I'm aware of it :D

    Aeriko @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should and let me know what you think?

      Delete
  2. I prefer the original Lux series in comparison to this book. The plot wasn't as developed, and the characters weren't as complex as Katy and Daemon are. But it was neat seeing Hunter and Serena making cameos in Opposition, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm sounds like it's not as good as the Lux series, but maybe still worth a read. Or a skim lol. Great review, maybe I'll look into it once I'm done with the Lux series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a look but nothing like the original series.

      Delete
  4. I quite enjoyed this book and found it a great addition to the Lux universe. But everyone is entitled to their opinions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had good parts but I just thought there was too much sex and not enough story.

      Delete