Wednesday, October 07, 2015

My Twilight Story

I've seen a lot of bloggers and Booktubers doing this and I wanted to share my story and love for Twilight. I know a lot of people hate on this series and the movies and I'm going to give my very honest opinion about it. I'm also going to share how I first got into Twilight and what it has done for my love of reading.





It was summer 2008, in the summer my family had moved from Tennessee to Kentucky. Like the northern tip of of Kentucky, the  middle of nowhere. I am from Nashville, where there is so much to do. So being over 500 miles from all my friends and my home, I was depressed. My family tried everything but I'd just sit in my room and listen to music, ignoring them all. I was so upset that they took me away from my friends. I was only 16.   

I got the chance to talk to my best friend Rane. She called and we were talking about how we missed each other and if I was ever coming back. (I've still not got to move back to my hometown. I now live even farther away...) Then she told me about this series she was reading called Twilight. It had vampires and she knew how much I love vampires. So she told me about it and I was kind of nervous about it. She told me that these vampires had no fangs... a vampire without fangs!? A vampire that sparkles?! 

Then later that week I went to the library, and there it was. Twilight. I decided 'what the hell' and got it. I read it all in one night. Then went back the next day to the library. There were so many holds on the rest of the series that my mother was sweet enough to take me to Wal-Mart and just buy the rest of the series for me. Since I didn't have school to worry about I finished the rest in two days. Needless to say I slept very little till it was finished.

I love the series. I've talked about before the first young adult series I ever read, The Vampire Dairies. That series got me to really love reading. But after moving up away from everyone I loved. I quit reading and was just emo. Twilight helped me find my love of reading again. It also made Kentucky a little better. I never made many friends while I lived there. Which was sad as I had tons in Tennessee. So while I was lonely and sitting at home while others went to parties and dances. I just read. It was the best escape from my depressed life. It gave me a reason to not want to kill myself anymore. (I was a very dramatic teenager). 

It was so nice, I even got to read the series to my little sister and she and grew close in that time period. She became my best friend and still is now. So I have Twilight to thank for a lot of good things in my life. 

Now the movies.... I wish anyone but Kristen Stewart had played Bella. She ruined everything for me. She needs acting lessons. Also I think they should've got someone who was a better role model to play Bella because so many kids looked up to her. One of my friends even started smoking pot because Kristen Stewart did and now her life is ruined.

I remember though, my dad actually went with me to the midnight premier of Twilight. I was so excited! To see all the characters I'd come to love. I even went to the midnight premier of New Moon and Eclipse. But I lost hope.... I didn't see the last two in theaters at all. I saw them once they can to pay per view. Yeah... I love the book series. It's one of my favorites. But the movies... Sorry if this brothers anyone but it's my personal opinion. If you love the movies and Kristen Stewart that's great. Keep on doing that.


So yeah, that's my story and my first taste of Twilight. In honor of the tenth anniversary edition, I'm going to review twilight and the retelling on my blog. Just twilight though, not the whole series. Here's my question for you sunflowers: are you excited to read the retelling or would you rather have had Midnight Sun? Personally, I'd rather have Midnight Sun but I'll take anything Twilight. I just the book series so freaking much!

8 comments:

  1. Loved this! Twilight is actually what got me reading in the first place, and I don't regret every having picked it up. I think I read Eclipse like 47 times one summer, I loved it that much (can you tell Eclipse is my favorite?)! I think I'd rather have Midnight Sun rather than Life and Death, mainly because with the gender swaps and the name changes, it can get a little confusing! I'll be looking forward to your review on Twilight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome because Eclipse is my favorite too! Me too, I've been waiting for Midnight Sun since I first heard about it!

      Delete
  2. I find it really interesting to see what got people into reading and/or the first book they truly fell in love with <3 personally I don't have much of a story to tell about Twilight because I was really late in reading it, but I have to agree about the movies... Kristen Stewart didn't work as Bella and overall the movies didn't do the books justice in my opinion. I'm very excited about Midnight Sun, much less for Life and Death but it will be certainly interesting to see how it turns out

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/www-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you still read them! Late or not that's all that matters! Yeah I don't see how the movies even made it to the end with how bad they were.... I just hope she gives us Midnight Sun soon and doesn't make us wait another ten years.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this, and I loved the Twilight books. I think you have inspired me to do my own Twilight story. Thank you! As for Life and Death, I am honestly not even interested in reading it. I would much rather have Midnight Sun because I was, and still am, a bit obsessed with Edward :)

    Cheryl @ I Heart Fictional People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Midnight Sun is what all the fans like us wanted. Who isn't still obsessed with Edward?! I'd love to see your Twilight Story!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your Twilight story, Carrie! I owe so much to Twilight, too. If I'm honest, I wouldn't be blogging today if I hadn't read the series. Actually, I wouldn't have even discovered or read a tenth of the books I have read over the past six or seven years! (It's so crazy to think I mightn't have read some of my more recent favourite books if I hadn't read and fallen in love with Twilight.)

    With the movies, I'm like you, I wish Kristen wasn't cast as Bella. I didn't think the movies captured the full Twilight 'magic', if you will. To me, they felt a bit sterile and passionless :( I also think the script-writing was a complete and total disaster, but that's a very long discussion for another day! ;-)

    I would have preferred Midnight Sun, but I doubt it'll ever happen unfortunately. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Life and Death, but I have a feeling I'm going to skip reading it. I'd like to try and keep my Twilight memories intact, and I'm a bit afraid of the new book tainting them :)

    Alma @ Journey Through Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twilight has done so much for YA. I honestly don't think YA would be the same without Twilight. I'm with you, Twilight opened me up to a lot of great books, TMI just to name one. Well I'm glad you found Twilight so you're here in the blogging community!

      Yes! Yes! And yes! They didn't capture the magic and the scripts were all atrocious!

      I'm still nervous about reading Life and Death, I've looked over it a few times and cringe at how much of a girl Beau is. So I don't blame you for not wanting to read it!

      Delete