Saturday, September 19, 2015

Review - Kalona's Fall (House of Night Novella #4)





The shadows in Kalonas past will finally come to light We will learn about the winged immortal's secret history and discover how he went from being the Goddess's Warrior and Guardian to her enemy and betrayer. Did Darkness taint Kalona as it did Neferet, or has the powerful immortal always preferred power over honor, and control over faith? This novella will be crucial to fans' understanding of Kalona, before his role in the explosive final installment of the House of Night, Redeemed.








Borrowed from my local library. 
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 180
Published: 07/29/2014 (my little sister's birthday)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: House of Night






Book Breakdown 

*SPOILERS AHEAD*



So, I used to really love the House of Night novels when I was like 16 but the older I got the more the characters seemed to well stupid and immature. So After reading the first few novels I gave up. Sold the book to Half Price Books and never looked back. Until I went to the library, I was still in my reading slump and wanted something short and easy to get through hoping to pull myself out of my slump. I read it in one sitting and it did get me over my slump, simply because I grabbed another book after I was finished to take my mind off this novella.   

This novella shows the creation of Earth, Kalona, Erebus, and the Vampyres. It's like Genesis of the House of Night world. And let me tell you, it's pretty damn horrid. It reads more like a text book and Nyx is some giggling little girl and not some all powerful Goddess. Lame.

Where this textbook novella really takes off is where Mother Earth creates a lover and warrior, playmate and friend. It was meant to be only one person to ease the loneliness that our giggling Goddess felt. But alas, there was two men; Erebus and Kalona. Mother Earth gives the pair of brothers three tasks to show they are worthy of the beautiful Goddess Nyx. Kalona fails the first test but Erebus passes. Kalona grows jealous and bitter. He's really been that way from the start. Already jealous and moody. I found myself wondering if he was ever really good.

On the night of the final test, Kalona sees Erebus and Nyx talking, big surprise, he gets jealous and flies away. Nyx follows and sees a Shaman with a maiden from Nyx's favorite people: The Prairie People. The Shaman says a spell and kills the girl in front of Kalona and then dies himself. Nyx uses her magic mixed with Kalona's and the poor maiden turns into the first Vampyre. After that whole thing it's time for the final test Erebus passes and Nyx decides that Kalona passes too. Yeah....

Our giggling Goddess takes them both to the otherworld, where eons passed and Kalona grew darker to the point where he demanded Nyx banish Erebus. Instead she kicks Kalona out because he let the anger and darkness consume him. 

That's it, that is Kalona's fall, not nearly as exciting or interesting as I thought or hoped for. The writing is fine, simple and flows nicely but the characters.... I just can't. Nyx seems like one of those airheaded teenagers and Kalona is the 'dark bad boy' we all love only not lovable. He's just an asshat. I hated him, I hated Nyx and I even hated Mother Earth for not just talking to Nyx and telling her that Kalona was awful. Erebus is the only one I liked and he was barely in there. So now that I've ripped this novella into pieces, I'm going to give my lowest rating yet!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Bookish Gift You'd Most/Least Like to Receive

This meme is hosted by myself and the wonderful Laura from Blue Eye Books . What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and...