Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Forbidden - Review

She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.







Title: Forbidden
Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Page Count: 432
Genre: New Adult Contemporary
POV: Lochan and Maya
Publisher: Definitions
Date Published: 01/01/2010





Book Breakdown

*Major Spoilers Ahead!*


This book I think is the first book I've done that has so much controversy around it. For those that don't know, this book is about a family. More to the point, a brother and sister. They are forced to take care of their three younger siblings because their father left the country with another woman years ago and their mother is a drunk who only cares about Dave, the name of her boyfriend. She's hardly ever home and when she is she doesn't seem to care at all. She's a poor excuse of a mother.

Lochan and Maya raise the family, they give baths, cook food, take the kids back and forth to school. They are the parents, the mother only pays for stuff. Lochan has a problem about speaking to people outside the house. He's got terrible social anxiety. But he's so smart and has a bright future. He makes top grades every time and he's a good kid. Maya is also, forced to mother but she loves and cares for them like Lochan.

They've always been close, as kids they were best friends, even now Maya still says Lochan is one of her best friends. They are close. Really close. The day they actually see that their feelings are more than they should be. They are dancing, just playing around in their living room when Lochan gets turned on.

They then struggle with their feelings, knowing this is wrong and against the law. Incest. But they can't help their feelings. They finally both break down when Maya comes back from a date, they fight and then kiss. They decide they can't hide their feelings from each other. It's hard though, keeping true love a secret. They fight and 'break up' a few times but always find their way back to each other.

Lochan even buys his sister a cute silver bracelet to show her how much he loves her. They start trying to be together more but decide never to cross THAT line. They can't have sex. Not till they can get away and change their names so no one will ever know that they share blood.

But it finally happens, one day the middle child, Kit is going on a school trip and the younger two are spending the night at a friend's house. They have a few days alone. It doesn't take long till they are in the bed and sharing their love. But just when things look good for them, their mother happens to come in and witness them in bed. It then all falls apart. I won't give away everything but the ending is sad. If you don't like sad ending DO NOT read.

The writing is lovely, the story twists my insides, it makes me feel weird and happy all at once. Except the end.... where I cried. That was funny, trying to tell me boyfriend that nothing was wrong with me but the book was sad.

Incest is the main theme of this book but so is love and strength. I don't like incest by any means, I mean. To each their own. But it can make having babies difficult and the laws and just not my thing. But I couldn't help but to cheer for this couple! The author did a fantastic job at making me love them together. They care so much for their family and each other. It was sweet. I mean what would it be like to be in love with a family member? It got me thinking, how does one deal with that? In the book the two characters go from thinking they are sick and messed up and just wanting to love each other.

I don't know I've still not decided if I hate this book or love it. But it really got me thinking. Not many books do that. This one is going to stick to me for a while. It also makes me worry if I'm not weird because I wanted Lochan and Maya together so freaking much. I will say I hate the end, I'm a happy ending kind of person but it does show how much love Lochan had for his family. Not many people have that kind of strong and powerful love for their siblings. They wouldn't care so much as to play father for them.

I think this is the longest review I've written and it's mainly a jumble of my thoughts. Have you read this book? If so let me know what you thought about it? Did you want Maya and Lochan together or was the incest too weird for you?











Favorite Quotes

1) “You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”

2) “How can something so wrong feel so right?”

3) “He is my soul mate, my fresh air, the reason I look forward to getting up every morning.” 

4 comments:

  1. This damn book broke my heart! I really wanted everything to work out for Maya and Lochan because they really did deserve it. Their story is so tragic and yet beautiful <3

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/arc-review-ice-like-fire-snow-like.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I wanted them happy and together! They were so cute together <3 It broke my heart at the end.... I sobbed like a baby!

      Delete
  2. This sounds a bit like Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. I keep hearing how good this book is, but I keep putting it off. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a bit like Flowers in the Attic. It's a good but very sad read.

      Delete