Thursday, August 06, 2015

Thursday's Discussion (2)

                                
I want to talk about this whole Cassandra Clare hate and plagiarism thing.  So that is what this Thursday's Discussion is going to be about. I didn't even know about any of this until I watched this BookTuber... he's not well known and sadly I can't even remember this channel but he said some stuff that got me wondering and I went to my good old friend: Google.

I felt totally felt out when I found out that she wrote Harry Potter fanfics! Did any of you guys know that? If you want to read them I can email you the PDF. It took a while to find them all as Cassandra Clare took them all down. I've not gotten to read too much yet but I plan to read them all just to see if the accusations are true. In case you don't know about any of this like me let's start from the very beginning.

I also want to say this, I'm not saying anything bad about Cassandra Clare, I love her work. I have for so long. I just wanted to look into all this and see if there is any truth to it or if the haters are just jealous of how much money she's making from all her books. So now then, here we go.


It started when Cassandra Claire (She went by this spelling at the time), started a fanfic called Draco Dormiens:  The story is now an AU, diverging from canon after Goblet of Fire. It is set during Harry's sixth year, and begins when unforeseen consequences with Polyjuice Potion in Potions class cause Harry and Draco to become indefinitely bodyswapped. The need to keep this a secret, the even greater need to find an antidote, and a love triangle where both Draco and Harry are interested in Hermione, power the plot of the novel. - Taken from fanlore.org


She started posting this fanfic to fanfiction.net in August 2000 and people fell in love with it. It was one of the biggest HP fanfics out there. She also wrote two more Draco Sinister and Draco Veritas respectively. 


Draco Sinister - When Hermione is kidnapped, Harry and Draco must team up to rescue her from a thousand-year-old evil that threatens the entire wizarding world. Cursed demon swords, love potions, time travel, dementors, flying dragons, Draco wears leather, and everybody dies at least once. Except when they don't. - fanlore.org


Draco Veritas - The sequel to Draco Sinister, featuring winter at Hogwarts, snogging, Quidditch, mysterious things and Rhysenn Malfoy. - fanlore.org



In late 2000 she began to write the second novel of her fanfic. Then it all started going to hell in June 2001 when there was only one chapter left in the second novel. That was when she was reported for plagiarism. Her works were then deleted. So she switched to FictionAlley. And the second one was completed in July of that same year. Her last fanfic novel was written over five years. From August 2001 to August 2006. 

It was took down quickly after completion when it was announced that Cassandra Clare was going to get her novel The City of Bones published. All of her fanfics were taken down that I know of.  There's PDF's still flying around and that's how I got mine. 


Now here is where things dicy. She got kicked off of Fanfiction.net for your total use of yes, plagiarism. She used full quotes from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.

"It's not in my nature to be self-sacrificing," said Draco matter-of-factly. "I don't know if this is just some lingering vestige of that Polyjuice spell or what. But if it is, and this generous phase that I am in passes, and you are still making Hermione miserable, then I will come back here and I will yank out your ribcage and wear it as a hat. Understood?" 
"Understood," said Harry, grinning despite himself. "And a big gold star for imagery." 
from Draco Dormiens *

The actual Buffy quote:

Buffy: I have had a *really* bad day, okay? If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat. 
Whistler: Hello to the imagery! Very nice. *

Those quotes I got from Fanpop.com, there is a lot more so check it out. You might be surprised.


This is the one that from what I'm come to understand is the one that got her banned. The largest portion of borrowed text appeared in Draco Sinister (The second in the trilogy) Chapter 9 and was taken from Pamela Dean's The Hidden Land, the second book of her Secret Country Trilogy. The chapter's original disclaimer read only: "Credit for the inspiration for this conception of the wizarding afterlife goes to a book called The Secret Country, alas, I no longer recall who wrote it." -Fanlore

Draco opened his eyes, or thought he did. He could not see anything with them, not blackness, not anything. Harry, he tried to say, but he had nothing to say it with – no throat, no voice. It was like dreaming, and knowing he was dreaming, but not being able to wake himself up.

"Harry!" he called out, and this time he heard his own voice, and jumped.


Original


Ted opened his eyes, or thought he did. He could not see anything with them, not blackness, not anything. He did not seem to have eyes, or anything else. Randolph, he tried to say, but he had nothing to say it with. It was like dreaming, and knowing you were dreaming, and trying to wake up by remembering the bed, and the pillow, and the color of your pajama sleeve: it was like the time just before the trick worked and you woke up.

"Randolph!" said Ted, and jumped. He had a voice, and ears to hear it, and a nervous system to make him jump when he was startled.



Here is the last one I want to talk about. The one I wanted to share the most.


Though Mortal Instruments and the Draco Trilogy do not share a plot, some fans believe that Clary and Jace are based on Claire's fanon versions of Ginny and Draco. Additionally, one passage from Draco Veritas, which tells the story of Draco's pet falcon, appears word-for-word in City of Bones; the only differences are minor punctuation changes and the amendment of "Draco" to "the boy" (now referring to Jace). - Fanlore







I personally have not read her fanfics yet but like I said I got them on PDF and plan to read them all and maybe talk about them for the next few discussion posts. Just to see for myself if the story from Jace's past is really in the fanfic and what all she copied from other people.


I personally don't care that she took stuff from other works and used them in a fanfic. I mean come on! A fanfic is taking characters from someone else and using them in a story you create yourself. If it's all just for enjoyment what is the big deal?

I will say that I don't like the idea of her using Jace's sad backstory about the bird if she used it in a fanfic. Yes, that story was all her own work but it feels... like she is just rehashing something. I don't know how to explain it really. Just makes it feel less like Jace and more like it belongs to whoever she makes have it.





Let me know below what your thoughts are, no hate! I'm not bashing this author as I enjoy her work so much. I just want your opinions and thoughts and if you want the fanfics just leave your email below and I'll send them to you so you can read them too. Have a great day buttercups!

8 comments:

  1. That looks really interesting I had no idea Cassandra Clare was blamed for plagiarism! My first thought is she doesn't deserve that much hate as it's not like EL James with Twilight/Fifty Shades. At least City of Bones is different to HP! I've never really read fanfics either but we all have to start somewhere. I don't really mind if she used Jace's bird backstory in the fanfic first, at least it was still her own idea! It'd be worse if she used something from HP in City of Bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. City of bones is her own creation. Fifty Shades is such a Twilight rip off it's not funny. You make a superb point!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've just nominated you for the Sisterhood of World Bloggers Award
    http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.gr/2015/08/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope to have my post up soon!

      Delete
  3. I think that plagiarism is a 'sensitive' topic, especially when it comes to fanfiction. At what point do you cross the line and say that work has been copied, because the idea of fanfiction is that you take someone else's characters or worlds and rewrite it to put them in different situations?
    I personally think that plagiarism isn't something to be endorsed, but taking someone else's characters or worlds to create something new is ok, with the copyright laws. Plus, as 'Less Reality More Books' mentioned, 50 Shades of Grey started out as a Twilight fanfiction. So should E.L James have paid royalties to Stephanie Meyer because she made profit from her creation?

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Book & Random Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. I didn't know she was banned for plagiarism! I just hope this doesn't effect her future works...

    I've also tagged you to do the 90's movies book tag, details here: http://erikabooksandstars.blogspot.ca/2015/08/90s-movie-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't at all! :)

      Awesome thanks! This tag looks like fun!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.