Saturday, August 01, 2015

Review - Emerge (The Awakening #1)



Description 

Allie Carmichael has always believed life is simple. 

You’re born. 

You live. 

You die.

She has no cause to believe that equation works differently for her, but there has to be a reason the world treats her like a pariah.

When an unexpected move to Kelleys Island brings Aidan McBrien crashing into her life, Allie is thrown by his reaction. He doesn’t shrink from her touch. He doesn’t stutter or make a quick exit. He smiles and welcomes her into his circle of friends, who aren’t exactly comfortable with Allie, but they seem to get her in a way most people don’t.

Finally, Allie has a real shot at normal and rides that high right up to her sixteenth birthday when she wakes in agony—an experience Aidan insists they have all faced. She struggles in ignorance, uncertain of what is real and what isn’t. When she emerges, Allie is different. She has always been different, but even among her extraordinary friends, she and Aidan are special. 

As Allie struggles to maintain her tenuous grasp on the power that threatens to overwhelm her, she worries she will lose herself in this strange new world. A dangerous world where she will have to fight tooth and nail to defend the power and freedom that is her birthright. 
…only Allie hates to fight.





My Thoughts/Review


This is self published?  No way. I wouldn't believe it if the author hadn't sent me a copy. It in no way feels self published. Everything flows perfectly and the characters are authentic. I also love how this is such an original novel. It never gave me the vibe that some books do. Never once when reading did I stop and think, this kind of reminds me of (whatever book insert here). I also love how it's set in Ohio as I used to live there and miss it a lot. 

Allie, our main character is awesome. She feels real and she is strong. I love that more YA is starting to have strong female characters. We need them and I just love reading about them! I also love the romance in Emerge. It's not rushed to me nor does it feel like insta-love (which I hate). I enjoy world building and there is a lot in the beginning. So if you don't like slow beginnings then don't get this book. I didn't mind,  I actually liked it, even more so in this book. Let's me get a feel of everything before jumping into the action.

I love the urban feeling and just how real it feels. This author made superpowers as real as they could seem and it worked perfectly. I could see it happening in the real world. Bottom line, get this book. It's amazing and worthy of your time. 

A word of warning through, you might get obsessed.



Favorite Quotes


1) “I don’t want to be that girl who’s nothing without her boyfriend. I want to be a reflection of what I love—of who I am on my own, not just an empty echo of who I love. Does that make sense?” 
“You think I’d overwhelm you?” he asked. 
“We’d overwhelm each other.” 

2) “I am currently preoccupied with chocolate.” 

3) “You do remember how dangerous I am with those?” 
“Aye, that’s the point. Everyone will duck and cover if they see you wielding these.” 
“Even my teammates?”
“Especially your teammates.” 

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I just wanted to let you know I tagged you for the I Mustache You Some Questions Tag! http://ageekwithbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/i-mustache-you-some-questions-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I shared your Facebook page to some groups on FB I've joined - all booknerds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg you're so sweet! Thank you so so much! /hugs you're the best!

      Delete
  3. Great review! This sounds like a book I would really enjoy.
    ~Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would. It's freaking amazing!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.