Monday, August 17, 2015

Manga Mondays (1)


I saw this on Allison's blog Allison Can Read and loved the idea. I love manga and manhwa and want to share that love with all of you guys too! So every two weeks I'll be posting a new Manga Monday! Hope you guys join me on this epic adventure. First I'm going to explain a little about manga and manhwa and how I came to love it.

1) What is manga? 


A style of Japanese comic books and graphic novels, typically aimed at adults as well as children.


2) What is manhwa?


It's a general Korean term for comics and print cartoons (common usage also includes animated cartoons). Outside of Korea, the term usually refers specifically to South Korean comics.


3) When did I start reading manga/manhwa?


It was a bright sunny day in the little small town of Ashland, Kentucky. A young girl begged her parents to take her to the local Walden's bookstore in the Ashland Town Center (the mall). They said they would after we finished all of our errands. She listened to her iPod while waiting (impatiently if the girl were honest) for them to finish. After everything was taken care of they drove their red Ford minivan to the mall. 

The girl jumped out of the minivan and almost ran into the store but held herself back as she didn't want people to look at her funny. This girl got that enough on her own for the way she dressed (goth). She went into the store and headed for the young adult section and to her dismay, she'd read all the books along the wall (it was a small bookstore to be fair). She was deeply sad and started to walk towards the exit when something caught her eyes... sexy vampires? 

She walked over and picked up the first volume of Vampire Knight (epic manga by the way. Still her very favorite to this day). She skimmed the pages and found herself loving the art style and those vampire guys were pretty damn hot. She also found herself loving the story as well. There was only five volumes out at that time and with her Borders reward card she was able to get them all.

She was excited, these weren't books like she was used to but they were still so intriguing and pulled her into the story world easily. She devoured them and wanted more! Though she had to wait months for the next release. She found herself looking at other manga too and thus the love of manga was born! 





Here is my first manga review!




Blurb
Yuki Cross has no memory of her past prior to the moment she was saved from a vampire attack ten years ago. She was adopted by the headmaster of Cross Academy, and now works alongside Zero to guard the Academy's secret. Cross Adademy is attended by two groups of students: the Day Class and the Night Class. At twilight, when the students of the Day Class return to their dorm, they cross paths with the Night Class on their way to school. Yuki Cross and Zero Kiryu are the Guardians of the school, protecting the Day Class from the Academy's dark secret: the Night Class is full of vampires! - From Goodreads






Manga Breakdown
*SPOILER ALERT*

This first volume serves as more of a prelude, giving the reader a glimpse of all the characters, showing that Zero is a vampire; turned by a Pureblood who killed the rest of his family. We also get to see just how much Yuuki already loves Kaname and how he cares for her very dear to his heart also. It tells you that Kaname is a Pureblood (not the same one that turned Zero), the most powerful vampire out there. Pureblood's have more abilities than Aristocrats. You see just how loyal all the students are to their Pureblood dorm president, Kaname. No real plot follows this volume, but it sets up more when the action and romance really take off in volume two.

The art is amazing, some of the very best I've seen in manga, it's honestly my favorite. Matsuri Hino puts so much detail into evertyhing, even the backgrounds. I've seen plenty of manga artists who skimp of the fine details of such things.


Something I really love is her take on vampires, they are still fierce and powerful without being too far out there. They still have fangs (sexy....) and red eyes. They aren't killed by sunlight but it weakens them and makes them tired. I also thought a good touch was only Purebloods can turn a human into a vampire, makes it seem more realistic to me. Overall, this is an awesome way to start a fantastic series.




15 comments:

  1. I haven't actually read any manga or graphic novels, although I desperately want to, I haven't seen any in any shops and it hasn't popped up in my library either. So, I'm still sat here, patiently waiting....

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey even though its better to buy manga so the author can get the funds, you can still read manga online!! xD

      Delete
    2. I always read online and then if I love the story I buy it! Manga is too expensive for me to buy a volume I know nothing about.

      Delete
  2. I love your post!! :D Vampire Knight was the forst manga I had read too, & I have to agree with you the art work that the artist draws for the manga is really really amazing. & Thanks for finding this tag, I might do it later! :) & Begrudgingly I have to say that what Kaname did at the end earned some of my trust but my favorite character is still Zero! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaname started out as my favorite character but then... Zero blew him away! I'm all about Zero! That's so cool that VK was your first manga too! Yeah!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any manga before, but my best friend is a huge fan. I actually think I have heard her talk about Vampire Knight, but also about so many others, she is obsessed! I will definitely give it a chance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! This one or this series is my ultimate favorite! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Vampire Knight! Oh my god, that was such a good series! Have you read the ending? THAT ENDING. I also loved the story of you and your introduction to manga ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked by the ending. I still don't know if I really liked it... lol thanks <3

      Delete
  5. I remember that day... I also remember when you got into Bleach and I cried cause you wouldn't let me read it. Ah, memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still sorry about that! Lol do you still even read manga? Or just comics?

      Delete
    2. Both, depends on the story. I'm picker now lol

      Delete
  6. Great review. I love the show! I haven't started the manga yet though. I just ordered the first one a few days ago. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the manga! It's better than the anime to me. Plus there is way more to love!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Your comments make my day!