Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Review - Throne of Glass


Description 


After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.







Review

Our story starts with Celaena being brought before the two guys who will grow to love her. It's easy to tell from the back of the book. The prince gives her the deal of a lifetime - a chance at freedom. She just has to win the competition and serve the king as his champion for four years. The idea, the thought of not having to die in those mines she was sentenced to a year ago, is enough to sway her mind and she agrees. 

She's taken to the castle where she will train and pass the tests, hoping to make it to the final duel. But dark and sinister things begin to happen, magical things. In a land where magic is outlawed. When others in the competition start dying, she knows something is wrong. Then when the very first Queen of Adarlan shows herself to our assassin and tells her that she has to save the kingdom, Celaena knows it's something bigger than she thought.

With the help of those close to her, will she be able to save the kingdom? And with two very different and wonderful men after her heart... what is an assassin to do?

This book was so amazing! I think I finally have a second author (no one though can still though Jennifer Armentrout). I always love Sarah's characters, they are strong and different. I also love how she didn't make Celaena some frilly girl who could only think about the boys. She kept her wits and her head on straight. I actually really love this love triangle, what makes it so hard is after reading this book, I don't know which one I like more! Dorian or Chaol? They are both so awesome and worthy of her love. 

I have noticed something about Sarah's book though, they start off slowly, guess with all that world building and such. They are so worth it though, amazing. The world building in her books is some of the best I've ever seen. Read this book, I can personally promise that after you finish it, you'll thank me. If you have already read the book, what did you think? Did you love as much as me?





Favorite Quotes 

1) “Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” 

2) “You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.”

3) “No. I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.”

4) “We all bear scars,... Mine just happen to be more visible than most.” 

5) “My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.” 

13 comments:

  1. I read this book! The slow beginning made me put it aside for a while, but the ending was so worth it! Haha, whenever I think of this book, my thoughts always jump to your quote #5. Celaene is truly awesome! I have yet to read the other books, so there's a chance you'll beat me to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not started the other books yet... but I have the second one ready! I'm excited for it! Yes, it did start off slow... but the ending was freaking awesome sauce and just blew my mind!

      Delete
  2. Nice!! :D I loved that you did a review on this book, because I recently got this book from the library so it reassures me that this book is gonna be a good read!! :) So thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy this book, but it's slow in the beginning so don't give up! It's all worth it in the end :)

      Delete
  3. Nice!! :D I loved that you did a review on this book, because I recently got this book from the library so it reassures me that this book is gonna be a good read!! :) So thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I'm so glad you love this book! You already know I love it though haha ;) And I just love those quotes I'm totally fangirling right now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are epic quotes! Haha. THis book was freaking amazing! I'm even reading the prequels right now!

      Delete
    2. I know! I'm on the last one now and I keep putting it off! I don't want to see him die! Sam is just so awesome!

      Delete
  5. I loved this book too! I'm reading Crown of Midnight and I want Heir of Fire to be done before I even go back to school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read Crown of Midnight yet... but it's on my self waiting for me! I will be caught up though for when the next one comes out in September.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It is pretty awesome! Who wouldn't love it? :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.