Sunday, July 19, 2015

Rant

This is my first ever rant, I'm not normally one to rant but this really got my blood pumping and anger raising. I was talking to someone very close to me and we started talking about books... big mistake! This person said that YA books are all immature and the characters are immature...



Like how? What gets me the most is this person has only ever read Harry Potter.... and sometimes those are considered juvenile/middle grade!

I just hate when people judge something that they've never read, it makes no sense to me at all. Plus, I've read a lot of YA, it's mostly what I read and yes, some of the books are immature but not every single one! There is a lot of mature YA out there. Jennifer L Armentrout writes some pretty much mature YA. 

Sorry, I hate ranting but this just rubs me the wrong way! Have you ever encountered anything like this before? If so tell me in the comments or even just tell me how wrong you think this too. 


10 comments:

  1. I haven't ran into anyone like personally, but I have read that. Each person to his or her own. They shouldn't judge us for reading YA, because at least we are reading. I do think it is good to have a variety of books to read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree people shouldn't judge us for reading what we want. I also agree with you that you should try and read a variety of books.

      Delete
  2. I haven't ran into anyone like personally, but I have read that. Each person to his or her own. They shouldn't judge us for reading YA, because at least we are reading. I do think it is good to have a variety of books to read though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. Those kinds of people make me so angry. A lot of close friends and family have all told me that I should be reading more "mature" stuff, or at least reading the classics or other books with realistic themes. Apparently YA isn't a "real" genre? HA. I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions, but they're crossing the line when they feel the need to put other people down because of it. They should think of it this way: don't judge other people what they're reading, because the other alternative would be for us to not read at all! People can either get on board with us, or leave us be. YA is a perfectly fine genre; there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and to say that it's immature is like saying adult novels are only for people who have sage wisdom. I'm right with you, fighting this sigma against YA books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, I apologize for taking over your comments, haha...

      Delete
    2. You seriously took the words right out out of my mouth! Right on girl! Lol I don't care if you can over my comments at all :D

      Delete
  4. I hate it when people judge something without knowing anything about it. I try to read as diversely as possible, and I’ve found good books in almost every genre. Some of my favorites are YA books.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! How can you really and honestly judge something you've never read? It makes no sense to me at all. There are great books in every genre and people need to give them chance :)

      Delete
  5. People who think YA is immature either have never read any YA, or don't have the imagination to see how mature some parts are. Some of the politics in the background of many YA books just can't be understood by kids or younger teens, as well as some themes and overall ideas that bind the book together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct! Some themes are very mature!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.