Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review - Wicked Lovely






Details


Title: Wicked Lovely
Author: Melissa Marr
Series: Wicked Lovely #1
Published: 6/12/2007
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 328
Format: Hardback








Description


 Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.



My Review


*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I remember reading this when it first came out, it was everything I was looking for in a book, great plot, girl finding her own strength, and hot alternative guys. I fell in love with this dark world, the fairies and the power struggle. I recently reread this book and it still gets me, it's just so wonderfully written and the characters seem so real.

It's wonderful and entertaining. Though, it is slightly rushed in some areas. The ending would've been better if it had, well, more. The final showdown with The Winter Queen seemed far too easy, too quick. It should've been harder than that.

I still love Seth so much! That will never change. If he was a real person I'd run away with him. He's one of my ultimate favorite fictional guys.

Donia happened to be my favorite character this time around while before it was Aislinn. The later was a bit too whiney for me. If I got the chance to live forever and be a fairy queen I'd be happy, yes it would suck to have all your friends and family die but you'd get to be with all generations of your family.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who loves fairies or urban fantasy. It's a quick read that you'll enjoy immensely.



Favorite Quotes

1) “She stood in his kitchen, watching him toy with the ring in his lip. It wasn't quite that he was biting it, but sucking it into his mouth. He did that when he was concentrating. It isn't sexy. He's not sexy. But he was, and she was staring at him like a fool. "wow" she whispered (.....)"Wow, huh?" His voice was low, husky. His chair creaked as he stood. His footsteps seemed strangely loud as he closed the couple yards between them. Then he was beside her. "I can work with wow”

2) “Keenan was staring at her, too intently for comfort. "I don't know why certain people shine for others. I don't know why you and not someone else." He gently pulled her forward and whispered, "But it's you I think of when I wake each morning. It's your face in my dreams."
Aislinn swallowed. That would seem odd even if he were normal. And he wasn't. What he was- unfortunately -was completely serious.” 

3) “He looked good, like sin in a suit.” 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I generally like fairies and I believe I'll enjoy it. Great review :)

    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'll like it, it's really great! Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! I love each and every one! Serious note: you are awesome and you matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Featured Post

50/50 Friday - Bookish Gift You'd Most/Least Like to Receive

This meme is hosted by myself and the wonderful Laura from Blue Eye Books . What is 50/50 Friday?  Everyone has a favorite and...